CLASS: KNITTING MITTENS & THUMBS
Wednesday, October 11 from 5-8 pm OR Saturday, October 14 from 2-5 pm
$30.00 (includes pattern & handout) plus cost of yarn purchased from Bluefield Yarn Company
$50.00 (includes pattern & handout) if you use your own yarn
In this class you will learn to knit a basic mitten. We will practice 2 types of thumbs commonly used in knitting mittens. I will also demonstrate a third type of gusset/thumb construction.
You will receive a pattern and a detailed handout. Participants should be familiar with double point needles or Magic Loop.
- 200 yards of worsted weight yarn
- US 5 and US 7 double point needles or US 5 & US 7 40" circular needle for Magic Loop for mitten and US 7 double point needles for the thumb
- Stitch markers
- Smooth scrap yarn in same weight and in contrasting color
- Darning needle
- Your homework needs to be completed before you come to class.
- This pattern is for a woman's size Medium mitten. If you need a smaller or larger adult size please contact the shop for directions.
- Divide yarn in half so that you use 100 yards for each mitten. Using US 5 needles cast on 36 stitches, place beginning of round marker and knit in K1, P1 rib until cuff reaches 4" or desired length from the cast on. Switch to US 7 needles and knit for 3 rounds. Place cuff stitches on waste yarn. DO NOT CUT YARN.
- Using your second ball of yarn make a second cuff in the same manner. Leave stitches on your needles. DO NOT CUT YARN.